The Garden

Sugnall Walled Garden has been painstakingly restored by the owners of Sugnall Hall, the Jacques family.

It is now back to its former splendour as a four quadrant, two acre walled garden.

Walled gardens are a uniquely English concept and were built to grow fruit and vegetables; the high walls created a warmer micro-climate, which extended the growing season.

Today, only two quadrants (and the perimeter of the walled garden) are productive, in which a variety of crops are planted all year round, including 50 varieties of pear and 100 varieties of apples.

The other two quadrants consist of one that is laid to lawn and hard standing, just outside the beautiful Tea Room, and the other than since 2012 houses the Summer Marquee from April to October.

The high garden wall that completely surrounds the garden dates back to 1738 and consists of around a quarter of a million red Staffordshire bricks. This affords a feeling of privacy and provides a superb setting for all kinds of activities.

Since 2014 the former Peach House on the west side of the garden has been licensed for Civil Ceremonies.